Game Twister
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

These forums are closed for viewing purposes only. To join the Game Twister community, please register at the new forums here.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister  

Username Lockdown?

Go down 
+15
Username
CED
Reauk
shadowbell17
RT
Jack_The_Ripper
SonicShadow999
ultimashadow
Tentousama
shadowbell16
SSD
Gen
Thrilla
Carnage
SC
19 posters
AuthorMessage
SC
Admin
Admin
SC

Number of posts : 317
Registration date : 2009-01-07

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 3:58 am

We've been faced with a dilemma for a while now that doesn't have any great solution. With the eventual introduction of user pages, user URLs will become much more prominent destinations.

The question is... Do we allow users to change their names at this point? If you change your name, you are essentially changing your URL, meaning all existing links to your page will become dead links.

It has never been a problem in the past because the profile URL is based on your unique ID #. Since user pages will be tied to your name, the only option is to make your name a permanent identifier, otherwise users could create dead links at will and it would make the site a lot less organized over time.

I get this bad feeling that people will totally freak out at the thought of not being able to change their names. Plenty of sites already don't allow you to change your name, but people are accustomed to the option here on GT. Then again, are name changes really necessary or is it a feature that people abuse in the first place?

Consider this post a sort of heads up... There's a chance your name might go on lockdown, so be sure it's the name you want to have. This is also a chance for everyone to share their opinions concerning this course of action. Go for it.
Back to top Go down
http://gametwister.net
Carnage
Level 14
Level 14
Carnage

Number of posts : 142

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:15 am

sounds like a dilema
Back to top Go down
none
Thrilla
Level 20
Level 20
Thrilla

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:16 am

I personally dont have a problem with it, I like my name and have only changed it as a temporary joke.

(first post?)
Back to top Go down
Gen
Level 16
Level 16
Gen

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:17 am

I really really like my username freedom. To change it for special moments and such. Please don't take that away from me, SC.
Back to top Go down
SSD
Level 4
Level 4
SSD

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:19 am

well SC its all up to you, i in my own opinion don't care, i like my name:D
Back to top Go down
http://supersonicdude109.newgrounds.com/ SSD
shadowbell16
Level 4
Level 4
shadowbell16

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:20 am

there isnt a way to dynamically change the name of the site. Liek every month update the site?
Back to top Go down
Tentousama
Level 2
Level 2
Tentousama

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:21 am

fine with me, i have nothing agianst not changeing my name.
Back to top Go down
ultimashadow
Level 2
Level 2
ultimashadow

Number of posts : 6

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:24 am

Yeah, I dont think its a good idea.
I would rather have my userpage being https://gametwister.forumotion.com/profile.forum?mode=viewprofile&u=16
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/ultimashadow/
SonicShadow999
Level 3
Level 3
SonicShadow999

Number of posts : 11

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:24 am

Well, I've changed my username many a time, but this is the one I will permantatly (SP?) stay with. I won't complain if it goes on lock-down.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/sonicshadow9999
Jack_The_Ripper
Level 9
Level 9
Jack_The_Ripper

Number of posts : 41

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:27 am

Don't get me wrong, I love my name. With that said, I like to have some fun sometimes. This Halloween we had a halloween party where we all changed our names to characters, like I was Conan-OBrien :( Things like that would be missed, but I mean if you have to...
Back to top Go down
RT
Admin
Admin
RT

Number of posts : 101

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:28 am

Would it be possible to give users a "Display Name" that can be changed as the username is changed under the current system, while locking down an official "Account Name" which is tied directly to user pages?

Obviously, this could be a whole lot more in-depth, but is that something that is under consideration?
Back to top Go down
shadowbell17
Level 3
Level 3
shadowbell17

Number of posts : 12

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:30 am

The risk of "dead links" is hardly worth taking away one of the most flexible of profile features.
Back to top Go down
Reauk
Admin
Admin
Reauk

Number of posts : 232

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:34 am

I have no problem whatsoever with my name being on lockdown. I've been reauk ever since I realized it was available and those digits I placed on its end were pointless.

Go for it if you must, I really see no problem with it. If it comes down to it though, you should probably inform everyone before you make the change so people have one last chance to change their usernames.
Back to top Go down
CED
Level 1
Level 1
CED

Number of posts : 1

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:35 am

I'd rather have no profile at all with the ability to change my naem rather than the opition you have come up with. I haven't gotten a set username, so it's hard for me to have a username. So I change every so often.
Back to top Go down
Username
Level 8
Level 8
Username

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:36 am

No no no no no please don't do that! I've had... let me think, four or five names now! I always think my names suck, but I sorta like my name now (please note my name has nothing to do with Star Wars, I hate that movie so much) Please don't take the option of destroying old names to create a new name!
Back to top Go down
https://gametwister.forumotion.com/profile.forum?mode=viewprofile none
Chaosian_Luciferious
Level 1
Level 1
Chaosian_Luciferious

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:37 am

although in the past a situation had arised where I was basically forced to change my username because of harassment on the forums long ago(way back in 2004) I'm down with users not being able to change their names, I'm happy with mine therefore everyone else should be with theirs(Hows that for logic)
Back to top Go down
ShadowDark
Level 2
Level 2
ShadowDark

Number of posts : 5

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:39 am

Unfortunately, I think that the ability to change usernames helps give GT, especially the forums a sense of community feeling. When Christmas rolls around, for example, and all the mods change their names to something holiday related.

Or when Halloween rolled around and the flash regs changed their names so they could be "In costume"

These things are fun and helps give me, at least, that friendly, community feeling.

I've always enjoyed that freedom. People get bored. If they get bored of their account name, it was nice to know that another one could be chosen.

Is there a way to keep the profile name set in stone, but be able to modify our online identity? For example, my profile would always be https://gametwister.forumotion.com/profile.forum?mode=viewprofile&u=25 but at any given time, I could change my alias for submitting or forum purposes.

Comon SC, Myspace does it and I know you love those guys =p.

Is something like that possible with how GT has been implimented?
Back to top Go down
SC
Admin
Admin
SC

Number of posts : 317

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:42 am

RT wrote:
Would it be possible to give users a "Display Name" that can be changed as the username is changed under the current system, while locking down an official "Account Name" which is tied directly to user pages?

Obviously, this could be a whole lot more in-depth, but is that something that is under consideration?

If possible, this is the best solution.
Back to top Go down
http://gametwister.net
Anonymous

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:45 am

RT wrote:

Wouldn't it be simpler to have the users choose what their domain name would be, and keep everything else as is? Kinda like how myspace does it.

OH NO NOW I'VE GONE AND DONE IT. WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING THAT SITE DOES BECAUSE IT'S EVIL GUYS DSNHGJHASDKGJH

Username lockdown sounds sweet.
Back to top Go down
Gen
Level 16
Level 16
Gen

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:48 am

Still though, I'd be more against it. I have a few usernames I like to switch around with. Although I could live with the change, as it's not that terrible.

I notice plenty of people change their name, and even though I'm the kind of person who doesn't do it all too often, the ability still seems pretty important. Like when you sign up, you might join with a really silly name, but as you mature, you may want to change it to something better. Or even if you're just changing your name for fun.

I see where you're coming from with people changing their names and ending up with a bunch of broken links to profiles (such as stat lists for example). But otherwise it doesn't seem to bad. Maybe just have a limit on the amount of username changes a user can make. Like only once a month, or something.

Admins might have to end up with people requesting name changes. Unless you assign Username mods or something, etc.
Back to top Go down
GENERAL,OMG
Level 1
Level 1
GENERAL,OMG

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:48 am

you could save all name-changes for one month in a database and if that URL is called then have a redirect after 5 seconds with a message saying the page has moved.
Back to top Go down
SilverDragonZ
Level 10
Level 10
SilverDragonZ

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:50 am

Are you sure there is no possible way to make the username something not so important ? Make the user page remain the same if we change our names, something like that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Username Lockdown? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Username Lockdown?   Username Lockdown? Empty

Back to top Go down

Username Lockdown?
Page 1 of 1